Dr. Vinay Dhingra
Dr. Dhingra received an MD with honours from the University of Saskatchewan in 1991, subsequently completed residency in internal medicine and fellowship in critical care medicine through the University of British Columbia.
He is on staff in the ICU at Vancouver General Hospital. He has served with the Canadian Council for Donation and Transplantation and the BC Transplant Society. he is Course director for the Fundamentals in Critical care Support Course and Previous Medical Director of Vancouver General Hospital and member of refional Critical care Council. His research interests include metabolic diseases of critical illness, traumatic brain injury, simulation and education.
1. Dhingra VK, Greenwood JK, Fenwick JC; Esophageal Complication of Feeding Tubes in the Critically Ill. The Internet Journal of Emergency and Intensive Care Medicine. 2001; 5(2).
2. Dhingra VK, Uusaro A, Holmes CL, Walley KR. Attenuation of lung inflammation by adrenergic agents in murine acute lung injury. Anesthesiology 2001; 95:947-53.
3. Dhingra VK, Chittock DR, Ronco JJ. Assessing methodological quality of clinical trials in sepsis: Searching for the right tool. Crit Care Med 2002; 30:487-488.
4. Dhingra VK, Fenwick JC, Walley KR, Chittock DR, Ronco JJ, Lack of Agreement Between Thermodilution and Fick Cardiac Output in Critically Ill Patients. Chest 2002; 122:990-997.
5. Gorman S, Dhingra V, Zed P, Ronco JJ. Rapid Imipenem-Cilastin Desensitization for multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter Pneumonia. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2003; 37:513-516.
6.Henderson WB, Dhingra VK, Chittock DR, Fenwick JC, Ronco JJ. Lack of Utility of Hypothermia in the Management of Traumatic Brain Injury: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Intensive Care Medicine 2003; 29:1637-1644.
7.Chittock DR, Dhingra VK, Ronco JJ, Russell JA, Forresst DM, Tweedale M, Fenwick JC. Severity of illness and risk of death associated with pulmonary artery catheter use. Crit Care Med 2004; 32:911-915.
8. McMullin J, Brozek J, Jaeschke R, Hamielec C, Dhingra V, Rocker G, Frietag A, Gibson J, Cook D. Glycemic control in the ICU: a multicenter survey. Intensive Care Medicine 2004; 30:798-803.
9. The NICE – SUGAR Study Investigators. The Normoglycemia in Intensive Care Evaluation (NICE) (ISRCTN04968275) and Survival Using Glucose Algorithm Regulation (SUGAR) Study: Development, design and conduct of an international multi-center, open label, randomized controlled trial of two target ranges for glycemic control in intensive care unit patients. Am J. Resp Crit Care Med, 2005 on line publication
10. Henderson WR, Chittock DR, Dhingra VK, Ronco JJ. Hyperglycemia in Acutely ill Emergency Patients- Cause or Effect? CJEM 2006; 8(5):339-343.
11. Sweet D, Isac G, Fenwick J, Dhingra V. Spontaneous Perulent Pericarditis in a Patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis Treated with Etanercept: CJEM 2007; 9(1):40-42
12. McIntyre LA, Fergusson D, Cook DJ, Nair RC, Bell D, Dhingra V, Hutton B, Magder S, Hebert PC, Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. Resuscitating patients with early severe sepsis: a Canadian multicentre observational study. Can J Anaesth 2007; 54(10):779-85.
13. Nguyen E, Kanne JP, Hoang LMN, Reynolds S, Dhingra V, Bryce E, Muller N. Community-acquired Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Pneumonia: Radiographic and Computed Tomography Findings. Journal of Thoracic Imaging 2008; 23(1):13-19.
14. McIntyre LA, Fergusson, D, Cook, DJ, Rankin, N, Dhingra, V, Granton, J, Magder, S, Stiell l. Taljaard, M, Hebert , PC. Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. Fluid Resuscitation in the Management of early septic shock (FINESS): a randomized controlled feasibility trial. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia. 55(12): 819-26, 2008 Dec.
15. Simon Finfer, Dean R. Chittock, Steve Yu-Shuo Su, Deborah Blair, Denise Foster, Dhingra V, Rinaldo Bellomo, Deborah Cook, Peter Dodek, William R. Henderson, Paul C. Hébert, Stephane Heritier, Daren K. Heyland, Colin McArthur, Ellen McDonald, Imogen Mitchell, John A. Myburgh, Robyn Norton, Julie Potter, Bruce G. Robinson, Juan J. Ronco. Intensive versus Conventional Glucose Control in Critically Ill Patients, The NICE-SUGAR Study Investigators. The New England Journal of Medicine, 360(13): 1283-1297, March 26, 2009
16. Gorman SK, M Stewart LM, Slavik RS, de Lemos J, Chittock D, Dhingra V, Ronco JJ, Parwana H. Identifying Missed Opportunities to Curtail Antimicrobial Therapy for Presumed Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia using the Clinical Pulmonary Infection Score. Can J Hosp Pharm 62(3): 217-225, May-June 2009
17. Van den Berghe G., Bouillon R., Mesotten D., Braithwaite S. S., Pei J., Yi D., Khoo T. K., Olsen K. A., Mohammedi K., Roussel R., Marre M., Hallas P., Finfer S., Chittock D., the NICE-SUGAR Study Investigators Glucose Control in Critically Ill Patients. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:89-92, Jul 2, 2009.
18. Henderson WR, Dhingra V, Chittock D, Foster D, Hebert P, Cook D, Heyland D, Dodek P, Griesdale D, Schultzer M, Ronco JJ. The efficacy and Safety of Glucose Control algorithms in Intensive Care. Pol Arch Med Wewn. 119 (7-8): 439-444, 2009.
19. Gorman SK, HoChung M, Slavik R, Zed P, Wilbur K, Dhingra V. A Critical Appraisal of the Quality of Critical Care Pharmacotherapy Clinical Practice Guidelines and their Strength of Recommendations. Intensive Care Medicine 36 (10): 1636-43, Oct 2010.
20. Richards MJ, Sreenivasan GM, Dhingra V, Sweet DD, Chen LY. Hemophagocytic Syndromes in Adult Intensive Care Units: response to Akabe et al. J Intensive Care Med 26 (5):343-4. 2011.
21. Negash DT, Dhingra VK, Copland M, Griesdale D, Henderson W. Intensity of continuous renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury in the intensive care unit: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Vasc Endovascular Surg 45(6):504-10, Aug 2011.
22. Sekhon, MS, Dhingra VK, Sekhon IS, Henderson WR, McLean N, Griesdale DE. The Safety of Synthetic Colloid in Critically Ill Patients with Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. J Crit Care 26 (4):357-62 Aug 2011.
23. Mendelson AA, Gillis C, Henderson WR, Ronco JJ, Dhingra V, Griesdale DE. Intracranial Pressure Monitors in traumatic Brain Injury: a systematic review. Can J Neurol Sci 39(5):571-6 Sept 2012.
24. Finfer S, Liu B, Chittock DR, Norton R, Myburgh JA, McArthur C, Mitchell I, Foster D, Dhingra V, Henderson WR, Ronco JJ, Bellomo R, Cook D, McDonald E, Dodek P, Hebert PC, Heyland DK, Robinson BG. Hypoglycemeia and risk of Death in Critically Ill Patients. N Engl J Med 367(12):1108-18, Sept 2012.
25. Gregory S, Vu M, Sweet D, Vu E, Finlayson G, Brown R, Ritchie A, Griesdale DE, Dhingra V, Papp A. Provincial Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Major Burn Trauma. BC Medical Journal, 54(9):456-458. Nov 2012.
26. Griesdale DE, Mendelson AA, Gillis C, Henderson WR, Ronco JJ, Dhingra V. Intracranial pressure monitors in traumatic brain injury: a systematic review. Can J Neurol, 40:433-434, 2013
27. Abu-Laban RB, Migneault D, Grant MR, Dhingra V, Fung A, Cook RC, Sweet D. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation after protracted ventricular fibrillation cardiac arrest: case report and discussion. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine 16(0):36-42, Aug 2014.
28. Dingli K, Dhingra V. Thoracic Aortic Mural Thrombus as a Cause of Multi-organ Failure. Minerva Anestesiol. 80 (1): 121-2. 2014.
29. Simon Finfer, Dean R. Chittock, Steve Yu-Shuo Su, Deborah Blair, Denise Foster, Dhingra V, Rinaldo Bellomo, Deborah Cook, Peter Dodek, William R. Henderson, Paul C. Hébert, Stephane Heritier, Daren K. Heyland, Colin McArthur, Ellen McDonald, Imogen Mitchell, John A. Myburgh, Robyn Norton, Julie Potter, Bruce G. Robinson, Juan J. Ronco Intensive Versus Conventional Glucose Control in Critically Ill Patients with Traumatic Brain Injury: Longer Term Follow Up of a subgroup of patients from NICE-SUGAR. Intensive Care Med 41(6):1037-47. 2015
30. McBeth PB, Missirlis PI, Brar H, Dhingra V. Novel Therapies for Myocardial Irritability Following Exctreme Hydroxychloroquine Toxicity. Case Rep Emerg Med 2015. Epub 2015 Aug 17
31. Sekhon MS, Gooderham P, Toyota B, Kherzi N, Hu V, Dhingra VK, Hameed MS, Chittock DR, Griesdale DE. Implementation of Neurocritical Care is Associated with Improved Outcomes in Traumatic Brain Injury. Can J Neurol Sci, 44(4):350-357. 2017
32. Zurawska JH, Romney MG, Wong H, Wang H, Ayas NT, Hoang LMN, Stefanovic A, Doyle P, Dhingra V, Dodek PM. Outcomes of Critically Ill Patients who have Serotype 5 Invasive Pneumococcal Disease. J Intensive Care Med 2017 Jan 1:885066617728895. doi: 10.1177/0885066617728895.
33. Dodek PM, McKeown S, Young E, Dhingra V. Development of a Provincial initiative to Improve Glucose Cinrol in Critically Ill Patients. Int J Qual Health Care. 2018 May 11. doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzy101. [Epub ahead of print]
1 Dhingra V, Fenwick J, Chittock D. Significant Improvement in the partial pressure of Arterial Oxygen with the Sixty Degree Head Up Position in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Accepted for presentation at the 67th Annual Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Meeting. Toronto, Ontario. September 1998.
2 Dhingra V, Ussaro A, Walley K. Decreased lung inflammation with adrenergic agents. Accepted for presentation at the 67th Annual royal college of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Meeting. Toronto, Ontario. September 1998.
3 Dhingra V, Ussaro A, Walley K. Attenuation of Pro-inflammatory Cytokine Production by Adrenergic Agents in Acute Lung Injury. Amer J Respir Crit Care med. 1999;159:A379.
4 Dhingra V, Abel J, Lichtenstein S, Bowering J, Walley K. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Inhaled Nitric Oxide Post cardiopulmonary Bypass. Amer J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999;159:A375.
5 Dhingra V, Chittock DR, Dodek P, Ronco JJ, Fenwick JC; Sixty-degree head up position is associated with increased PaO2 in acute respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001:163(5)A682
6 Dhingra V, Fenwick JC, Walley KC, Chittock DR, Ronco JJ; Lack of agreement between thermodilution and fick cardiac output in critically ill patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001:163(5)A754
7 Dhingra V, Holmes CL, Russell JA, Bowering J, Abel J, Lichtenstein S and Walley Keith R; IL-6 Associated with myocardial depression post cardio-pulmonary by surgery. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001: 163(5)A457
8 WR Henderson, VK Dhingra, JC Fenwick, JJ Ronco. Lack of Effect of Hypothermia in the Management of Traumatic Closed Head Injury. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2002: 165(8)A31
9 Henderson WR, Dhingra VK, Chittock DR, Dodek PM, Ronco JJ. Interim Analysis of the Survival Using Glucose Algorithm Regulation (SUGAR) trial pilot phase. Toronto Critical Care Medicine Symposium, November 2 2002.
10 Henderson WR, Dhingra VK, Chittock DR, Fenwick JC, Ronco JJ. Hypothermia in the Management of Traumatic Brain Injury: A Review and Meta-Analysis. Toronto Critical Care Medicine Symposium, November 2 2002.
11 McMullin J, Brozek J, Jaeschke R, Hamielec C, Dhingra V, Rocker G, Freitag A, Gibson J, Cook D. Glycemic Control in the ICU: A Multicenter Survey. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2003; 167(7):A252.
12 Henderson WR, Dhingra VK, Chittock DR, Dodek PM, Ronco JJ. Survival Using Glucose Algorithm Regulation (SUGAR) trial pilot phase. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2003; 167(7):A253.
13 Dhingra VK, Greenwood J, Chittock DR, Henderson WR, Fenwick JC, Ronco JJ. Nutrition in the ICU: How Sweet is it? Crit Care Med 2003; 31:A84.
14 Henderson WR, Dhingra VK, Chittock DR, Fenwick JC, Ronco JJ. Glucometer Validation in the Critically Ill. Crit Care Med 2003; 31:A.113.
15 McIntyre LA, Fergusson DA, Cook DJ, Magder S, Bell D, Dhingra V, Hebert PC. Are Delays in the Recognition and Initial Management of Patients with Severe Sepsis Associated with Hospital Mortality? Crit Care Med 2003; 31:A75.
16 Forrest DM, Parwana H, Slavik R, Gorman S, Chittock DR, Dhingra VK, deLemos J. Antibiotic Susceptibility of Respiratory Tract Pathogens Isolated from Critically Ill Patients: Towards more Rational Choice of Emperic Antibiotics. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2004.
17 Henderson WR, Dhingra VK, Chittock DR, Ronco JJ. Survival Using Glucose Algorithm Regulation (SUGAR) Pilot data (in association with the Canadian critical Care Trials Group). Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2005.
18 Chittock DR, Dhingra VK, Henderson WR, Ronco JJ. Hyperglycemia not a risk factor for death in the ICU. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2005.
19 McIntyre LA, Fergusson DA, Hutton B, Cook DJ, Bell D, Dhingra V, Magder S, Rose N, Hebert PC. Practice variation in resuscitation of patients with severe sepsis. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2005.
20 McIntyre LA, Fergusson DA, Hutton B, Cook DJ, Bell D, Dhingra V, Magder S, Hebert PC. Is quantity of fluid administered in early severe sepsis associated with hospital mortality? Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2005.
21 McIntyre LA, Fergusson DA, Hutton B, Cook DJ, Bell D, Dhingra V, Magder S, Hebert PC. Deferred Consent in an Early Septic Shock Resuscitation Trial. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2007.
22 McIntyre LA, Fergusson DA, Cook DJ, Rankin N, Dhingra V, Granton J, Magder S, Taljaard M, Hebert PC. Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. Fluid Resuscitation in the Early Management of Septic Shock (FINESS): A Pilot RCT. Crit Care Med 2007.
23 British Columbia Major Burns Clinical Practice Guidelines. Gregory SN, Vu MP, Sweet DD, Vu EN, Dhingra VK, Brown DRG, Simons RK, Papp AA Critical Care Transport Medicine Conference (CCTMC), in Nashville, Tennessee Air Medical Journal (AMJ) 2012.
24 Lamontagne F, Zytaruk N, Dhingra V, Lee A, Chittock D, Meade M, Granton JT, Dodek PD, McIntyre LA, Skrobik Y,, Eddington J, Botha J, Evans D, Cox M, Nates J, Schiff D, Sharpe M, Heels-Ansdell D, Clarke F, McDonald E, Cook DJ; Risk of thromboses from peripherally inserted central catheters (PICCs) in the ICU. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2014
25 Peter Dodek, Monica Norena, Hubert Wong, Najib Ayas, Vinay Dhingra, Glen Brown. Association Between Moral Distress In ICU Personnel And Medication Safety. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2014.
26 Li D, Pudek M, Mitra A, Dhingra VK. Measurement of serum free cortisol in septic shock patients. 58th Annual Conference of the Canadian Society of Clinical Chemists. June 2014
27 Grant C, Li S, Brittain V, Dhingra VK. Early Progressive Mobility (UP) at Vancouver General Hospital 3rd Annual Johns Hopkins Critical Care Rehabilitation Conference. October 2014
28 Li S, Grant C, Brittain V, Dhingra VK. Implementing early progressive mobility in a mixed medical/surgical critical care unit. Quality Forum 2015 BCPSQC. February 2015
29 PM Dodek, DEG Griesdale, M Norena, H Wong, N Ayas, D Chittock, JJ Ronco, D Foster, SP Keenan, S Reynolds, V Dhingra, S Gani. Hyperglycemic Index and Hyperglycemic Time Index are NOT Associated with Nosocomial Infections in Critically Ill Patients who Receive Insulin Infusions. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2015.
30 Sidhu A, Brown D, Dhingra V. Successful use of VA ECMO for Rewarming and Cardiac Support Post Prolonged Hypothermic Cardiac Arrest: A Case Study. European ELSO Meeting May 2015
31 Chiu JA, Shergill M, Dhingra V, Ronco JJ, Pamplin C, McKeown S, Dodek P. Variation in the Management of Pain, Agitation and Delirium in Critically Ill Patients among ICUs in British Columbia. Am J resp Crit Care Med 2016.
32 Yue S, Dhingra V, Ronco JJ, Pamplin C, McKeown S, Dodek P. Survey of Glucose Control Practices in all ICUs within British Columbia. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2016.
33 Mackenzie-Feder J, Li D, Sweet D, Henderson W, Griesdale D, Pudek M, Dhingra V, Mitra A. Validation of Rapid Ultrafiltration-Immunoassay Method to Measure Free Cortisol in Critically Ill Septic Patients. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2016.
34 Dr. Lea Harper, Dr. Adam Chruscicki, Dr. Vinay Dhingra, Dr. John Yee, Dr. Celine Bergeron, Dr. Roland G Nador, Dr. John Swiston, Dr. Caren Rose, Dr. Robert D Levy. Donor and recipient predictors of increased length of intensive care unit stay following bilateral lung transplantation: A single-center retrospective cohort analysis. Canadian Thoracic Society 2018.
35 Marilyn Swinton, Meredith Vanstone, Orla Smith, Andrew Baker, Allana LeBlanc, Denise Foster, Vinay Dhingra, Neala Hoad, Alyson Takaoka, France Clarke, Anne Woods, Anne Boyle, Feli Toledo, Deborah Cook. Not All That Counts Can Be Counted: Managerial Perspectives of the 3 Wishes Project. Crit Care Med 2018
Books – Chapters
1 Dhingra V, Russell J, Walley K. An Overview, Clinical Evaluation and Chest Radiology. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: A Comprehensive Approach to Clinical Management. Cambridge University Press 1998.
2 Russell J, Dhingra V, Walley K. Clinical Assessment and Total Patient Care. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: A Comprehensive Approach to Clinical Management. Cambridge University Press 1998.
3 Dhingra V, Finlayson G. Cardiac Function and Hemodynamic assessment of the Critically III on TEE. Comprehensive Transesophageal Echocardiography in the ICU. In Press 2014.
Awards & Recognition:
Awards for Teaching
- Fay R. Dirks Award: Excellence in Teaching, Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre, University of British Columbia, Department of Medicine 2003.
- Master Teacher Award. University of British Columbia, Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutices, 2008.
- Master Teacher Award. University of British Columbia, Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2014.
- Clinical Teaching Award Critical Care Medicine; University of British Columbia, Division of Critical Care, 2014
Awards for Service
- Champions of Change Award by the Doctors of BC 2018.
- Long Service Award BC Patient Safety and Quality Council 2018.
Awards for Scholarship
- General Proficiency Award, Government of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK 1985
- Undergraduate Scholarship, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK 1986
- Deans Scholarship, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK 1987
- Deans Scholarship, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK 1988
- Deans Scholarship, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK 1980
- Undergraduate Scholarship, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK 1989
- Medical Class Valedictorian, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK 1991
- Resident Research Day, Best Oral Presentation by 1st year resident, UBC, Vancouver, 1994
- UBC Award of Excellence, Best Overall Presentation by resident, UBC, Vancouver, 1985
- Resident Research Day. Best Poster Presented by Fellow, UBC, Vancouver, 1998
- Departmental Scholar, University of British Columbia, Department of Medicine, 2004-2006
- Clinical Mentor Award Critical Care Medicine; University of British Columbia, Division of Critical Care, 2018
- People First Award: Excellence in Teamwork and Collaboration CCOT. Vancouver Coastal Health, 2015
- BC Patient Safety and Quality Council Award Getting Better Category: Up Early Progressive Mobilization in ICU, 2016
- BC Patient Safety and Quality Council Award: End of Life Category: Wishing Well ICU at VGH,2017