Dr. Najib Ayas
Associate Professor, Division of Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, UBC
Dr. Najib Ayas graduated with distinction from the University of Alberta in 1992. He completed an Internal Medicine residency at the Mayo Clinic in 1996, and postgraduate training in Respiratory, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School in 2000. He was on staff at Brigham and Women’s Hospital for two years, and then joined the Sleep Disorders Program at the University of British Columbia in September 2002. He also has a Master of Public Health from the Harvard School of Public Health.
His research focuses on the public health and safety consequences of sleep apnea and sleep deprivation. His work has been published in a variety of medical journals including the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Chest, Sleep, Cardiovascular Nursing, Journal Spinal Cord Medicine, Sleep Medicine, Thorax, Archives of Internal Medicine, Canadian Journal of CME, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine.
|University or Institution||Degree||Subject Area||Dates|
|University of Alberta||General Science||1986 – 1988|
|University of Alberta||MD||1988 – 1992|
|St Thomas Medical Center, Akron, Ohio||Rotating Internship||1992 – 1993|
|Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, MN||Internal Medicine Residency||1993 – 1996|
|Harvard, Boston, MA||Combined Program||Pulmonary & Critical Care Fellowship||1996 – 2000|
|Harvard School of Public Health||Masters||Public Health||2000 – 2002|
Special Professional Qualifications
|1||1992 Advanced Cardiac Life Support|
|2||1993 Licentiate of Medical Council of Canada|
|3||1996 Certification, American Board of Internal Medicine|
|4||1996 Massachusetts General License to Practice|
|5||1997 Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Internal Medicine)|
|6||1998 Advanced Trauma Life Support|
|7||1999 Diplomate, American Board of Sleep Medicine|
|8||2000 Specialty Certification Respiratory Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine|
|9||2000 Specialty Certification Respirology (Canada)|
|10||2006 Specialty Certification Critical Care Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine|
|1. Ayas N., Wijdicks E. Cardiac Catheterization Complicated By Stroke: 14 Patients. Cerebrovascular Diseases 1995; 5:304-307.
2. Ayas N., Williams D. A 40 Year Old Woman With Cough And Dyspnea. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 1996; 71:307-310.
3. Ayas N, Bergstrom L., Schwab T. Unrecognized Severe Postoperative Hypercapnia: A Case Of Apneic Oxygenation. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 1998; 73: 51-54.
4. Ayas NT, Garshick E, Lieberman SL, Wien MF, Brown R. Breathlessness In Spinal Cord Injury Depends On Injury Level. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine 1999; 22:96-100.
5. Ayas NT, McCool FD, Gore RL, Lieberman SL, Brown R. Prevention Of Diaphragm Atrophy With Brief Periods Of Electrical Stimulation. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 1999; 159: 2018-2020.
6. Zeitzer JM, Ayas NT, Shea SA, Brown R, Czeisler CA. Absence of Detectable Melatonin and Preservation of Cortisol and Thyrotropin Rhythm in Tetraplegia. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2000; 85:2189-2196.
7. Ayas NT, Brown R, Shea SA. Hypercapnia Can Induce Arousal from Sleep in the Absence of Altered Respiratory Mechanoreception. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2000; 162:1004-1008.
8. Ayas NT, Epstein L, Lieberman SL, Tun C, Brown R, Larkin E, Garshick E. Predictors Of Snoring In Spinal Cord Injury. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine 2001: 24:30-35.
9. Malhotra A, Pillar G, Fogel RB, Edwards JK, Ayas N, White DP. Pharyngeal Pressure and Flow Effects on Genioglossus Activation in Normal Subjects. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2002; 165:71-7.
10. Stanchina M, Malhotra A, Fogel R, Edwards J, Ayas NT, White DP. Genioglossus Muscle Responsiveness to Resistive Loading and Hypercarbia During NREM Sleep. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002 Apr 1;165(7):945-950.
11. Patel SR, White DP, Malhotra A, Stanchina M, Ayas NT. CPAP Therapy for Treating Sleepiness in a Diverse Population with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Archives of Internal Medicine 2003; 163: 565-571.
12. Ayas NT, White DP, Manson J, Stampfer M, Speizer F, Malhotra A, Hu F. A Prospective Study of Sleep Duration and Coronary Heart Disease in Women. Archives of Internal Medicine 2003. 163:205-9.
13. Ayas NT, Pittman S, MacDonald M, White DP. Assessment of a Wrist-worn Device in the Detection of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Sleep Medicine 2003; 4: 435-442.
14. Tachibana N, Ayas NT, White DP. Japanese versus USA Clinical Services for Sleep Medicine. Sleep and Biological Rhythms 2003; 1:215-220.
15. Ayas NT, White DP, Al-Delaimy WK, Manson J, Stampfer M, Speizer F, Patel S, Hu F. A Prospective Study of self-reported Sleep Duration and Incident Type 2 Diabetes in Women. Diabetes Care 2003; 26: 380-4.
16. Sutherland R, Allmers H, Ayas NT, Venn AJ, Zellos L, Martin RJ.Inhaled Corticosteroids Reduce the Progression of Airflow Limitation in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: a Meta-analysis. Thorax 2003; 58:937-941.
17. Patel SR, Ayas NT, Malhotra MR, White DP, Speizer FE, Stampfer MJ, Hu FB. A Prospective Study of Sleep Duration and Mortality Risk in Women. Sleep 2004. 27:440-4.
18. Pittman SD, Ayas NT, MacDonald MM, Malhotra A, Fogel RB, White DP. Using a Wrist-worn Device Based on Peripheral Arterial Tonometry to Diagnose Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Sleep 2004; 27:923-33.
19. Patel SR, Karmapolitis D, Ayas NT, Hess D, Kacmarek R, Thompson BT, Wain J, Malhotra A. The Utility of Open Lung Biopsy in Patients with the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: The Experience of a Large Teaching Hospital. Chest 2004.195:197-202. [subject of editorial].
20. Ayas NT, Patel SR, Malhotra A, Schulzer M, Malhotra M, Jung D, Fleetham J, White DP. Auto-Titrating Versus Standard Continuous Positive Airway Pressure for the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Results of a Meta-analysis. Sleep 2004; 27:249-253.
21. Zeitzer JM, Ayas NT, Shea SA, Wu AD, Czeisler CA, Brown R. Bilateral oculosympathetic paresis associated with loss of nocturnal melatonin secretion in patients with spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2005;28(1):55-9.
22. Tachibana N, Ayas NT, White DP. An Analysis of Sleep Laboratory Activity in the United States. Journal Clinical Sleep Medicine 2005; 1:1-4.
23. Bajwa E, Ayas NT, Schulzer M, Mak E, Ryu J, Malhotra A. Interferon Gamma-1b Therapy in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: A Metaanalysis. Chest. 2005. 128:203-206.
24. Barger LK, Cade BE, Ayas NT, Cronin JW, Rosner B, Speizer F, Czeisler CA. Impact of Extended Duration Work shifts (>24 hours) on Intern Sleep and Risk of Motor Vehicle Crashes. New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 352: 125-34 [subject of editorial].
25. Wang CS, Fitzgerald JM, Schulzer M, Mak E, Ayas NT. Does This Dyspneic Patient in the Emergency Department Have Congestive Heart Failure? JAMA 2005. 294:1944-56.
26. F Scheer, JM Zeitzer, NT Ayas, R Brown, CA Czeisler, SA Shea. Reduced Sleep Efficiency In Cervical Spinal Cord Injury; Association With Abolished Nighttime Melatonin Secretion: Preliminary Communication. Spinal Cord. 2006 44(2):78-81.
27. Ayas NT, FitzGerald JM, Fleetham J, Schulzer M, White DP, Ryan CF, Ghaeli R, Mercer GW, Marra CA. Cost-Effectiveness of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) for Moderate to Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea Hypopnea. Archives Internal Medicine 2006. 166: 977-84.
28. Almeida FA, Ayas NT, Otsuka R, Hamilton P, Ryan CF, Lowe A. Nasal Pressure Recordings to Detect Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Sleep Breath. 2006. 10:62-69
29. Lusina SC, Paul MK, Inglis JT, McKenzie DC, Ayas NT, Sheel W. Long Term Intermittent Hypoxia Increases Sympathetic Activity and Chemosensitivity During Acute Hypoxia in Humans. Journal of Physiology 2006. 575:961-970
30. Davidson WJ, Dorscheid D, Spragg R, Schulzer M, Mak E, Ayas NT. Exogenous Pulmonary Surfactant for the Treatment of Adult Patients with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome – Results of a Meta-Analysis. Crit Care. 2006 Mar 8;10(2):R41. (Epub ahead of print)
31. Ayas NT, Barger LK, Cade BE, Hashimoto D, Rosner B, Cronin JW, Speizer F, Czeisler CA. The impact of extended duration workshifts on percutaneous injuries in interns. JAMA 2006. 296: 1055-62.
32. Landrigan CP, Barger LK, Cade BE, Ayas NT, Czeisler CA. Interns’ Compliance with Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Work-Hour Limits. JAMA. 2006. 296:1063-70.
33. Mulgrew AT, Cheema R, Fleetham J, Ryan CF, Ayas NT. Efficacy and Patient Satisfaction with Auto-adjusting with variable Expiratory Pressure CPAP vs. Standard CPAP: A Randomized Cross-over Trial. Sleep and Breathing 2007. 11:31-7.
34. Barger LK, Ayas NT, Cade BE, Cronin JW, Rosner B, Speizer F, Czeisler CA. Impact of Extended Duration Work shifts (>24 hours) on Significant Medical Errors, Preventable Adverse Events, and Attentional Failures. PLoS Medicine 2006. 3:e487.
35. Alajmi M, Mulgrew AT, Fox J, Davidson W, Schulzer M, Mak E, Ryan CF, Fleetham J,Choi P, Ayas NT. The Impact of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Therapy on Blood Pressure (BP) in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Lung. 2007. 185: 67-72.
36. Kwiatkowska M, Atkins MS, Ayas NT, Ryan CF. Knowledge-based data analysis: First steps towards the creation of clinical prediction rules, using a new typically measure. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2007. 11(6):651-60.
37. Mulgrew AT, Fox N, Ayas NT, Ryan CF. Ambulatory Clinical Algorithm for Diagnosis and CPAP Titration in Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Annals of Internal Medicine 2007. 146:157-166.
38. Mulgrew A, Ryan CF, Fleetham JA, Cheema R, Fox N, Koehoorn M, FitzGerald JM, Marra C, Ayas NT. The Impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Sleepiness on Work Limitation. Sleep Medicine 2007. 9:42-53.
39. Ayas NT, Norena M, Wong H, Chittock D, Dodek P. Pneumothorax after Insertion of Central Venous Catheters in the Intensive Care Unit. Quality and Safety in Healthcare 2007. 16:252-255.
41. Comondore VR, Cheema R, Fox J, Butt A, Mancini J, Fleetham J, Ryan F, Chan S, Ayas NT. The Impact of CPAP on Cardiovascular Biomarkers in Minimally Symptomatic Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Pilot Randomized Crossover Trial. Lung. 2009. 187:17-22.
42. Tan MC, Ayas NT, Mulgrew A, Cortes L, FitzGerald JM, Fleetham JA, Schulzer M, Ryan CF, Ghaeli R, Cooper P, Marra CA. Cost-Effectiveness of CPAP Therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Hypopnea in British Columbia. Canadian Respiratory Journal 2008. 15:159-165.
43. Khan NA, Palepu A, Norena M, Ayas N, Wong H, Chittock D, Hameed M, Dodek PM. Mortality among Asian and Native Indian Patients Admitted to ICU. Chest. 2008. 134: 1217-22.
44. Mulgrew AT, Nasvadi G, Butt A, Cooper P, Fleetham JA, Ryan CF, Cooper P, Ayas NT. Risk and severity of Motor Vehicle Crashes in Obstructive Sleep Apnea Patients. Thorax 2008. 63:536-541.
45. Sheel AW, Reid WD, Townson AF, Ayas NT, Konnyu KJ Effects of exercise training and inspiratory muscle training in spinal cord injury: a systematic review.J Spinal Cord Med. 2008;31(5):500-8
46. Sadatsafavi M, Marra CA, Ayas NT, Stradling JR, Fleetham JA. Cost-effectiveness of Oral Appliances in treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea-Hypopnea. Sleep and Breathing 2009. 13:241-52.
47. AlLawati N, Mulgrew A, Cheema R, VanEeden S, Butt A, Fleetham J, Ayas N. Pro-atherogenic cytokine profile of patients with suspected obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep and Breathing 2009. 13: 391-5.
48. Wenner J, Norena M, Khan N, Palepu A, Ayas N, Wong H, Dodek P.Reliability of ICU Admitting and Comorbid Diagnoses, APACHE II score, and Race in an Electronic ICU Database. Journal of Critical Care 2009. 24: 401-7
49. Mountain S, Hameed M, Dodek P, Ayas N, Norena M, Chittock D, Wong H. Effect of ICU Workload as Reflected by ICU Activity on Mortality and Time to discharge Alive from ICU. Healthcare Quarterly 2009; 12: 8-14.
50. Wilmer A, Louie K, Dodek P, Wong H, Ayas NT. Methods for detecting adverse events and medical errors in the ICU: A Systematic Review. Quality and Safety in Healthcare 2010. 19:e7.
51. Louie KE, Wilmer A, Wong H, Grubisic M, Ayas N, Dodek P. Medication Error Reporting Systems: A Survey of Canadian Intensive Care Units. Canadian Journal of Hospital Pharmacy.
52. Ayas NT, Fox J, Epstein L, Ryan CF, Fleetham JA. Initial Use of Portable Monitoring Versus Polysomnography to Confirm Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Symptomatic Patients: An Economic Decision Model.S Ileep Medicine 2010; 11:320-4.
53. Louie K, Cheema R, Dodek P, Wong H, Wilmer A, Grubisic M, FitzGerald JM, Ayas NT. Nursing work schedules and the risk of hypoglycemia in critically ill patients receiving intravenous insulin.Quality and Safety in Healthcare 2010. 19:e42.
54. Mulgrew AT, Lawati NA, Ayas NT, Fox N, Hamilton P, Cortes L, Ryan CF.Residual sleep apnea on polysomnography after 3 months of CPAP therapy: clinical implications, predictors and patterns.Sleep Med. 2010;11:119-25.
55. Sharpe R, Koval V, Ronco JJ, Qayumi K, Dodek P, Wong H, Shepherd J, FitzGerald JM, Ayas NT. The Impact of Prolonged Continuous Wakefulness on Resident Clinical Performance in the Intensive Care Unit: A Patient Simulator Study. Critical Care Medicine. 2010; 38: 766-770.
56. Hirsch-Allen AJ, Ayas N, Mountain S, Dodek P, Peets A, Griesdale DE. Influence of residency training on multiple attempts at endotracheal intubation. Can J Anaesth 2010. 57: 823-9.
57. Henrich N, Dodek P, Heyland D, Rocker G, Kutsogiannis D, Dale C, Fowler R, Ayas N. Qualitative analysis of an intensive care unit family satisfaction survey, Crit Care Med 2011. epub ahead of print
61. Fox N, Hirsch-Allen A, Goodfellow E, Wenner J, Fleetham J, Ryan CF, Kwiatkowska M, Ayas NT. The Impact of a Telemedicine Monitoring System on Positive Airway Pressure Adherence in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Sleep 2012. 35: 477-481.
62. Dodek PM, Wong H, Heyland DK, Cook DJ, Rocker GM, Kutsogiannis DJ, Dale C, Fowler R, Robinson S, Ayas NT; Canadian Researchers at the End of Life Network (CARENET). The relationship between organizational culture and family satisfaction in critical care.Crit Care Med. 2012 May;40(5):1506-12
63. Wang CS, Udell JA, Tinmouth J, Fitzgerald JM, Ayas NT, Schulzer M, Mak E, Yoshida EM. Does this patient have liver cirrhosis? The Rational Clinical Examination. JAMA. 2012. 307: 832-842.
64. Little A, Ethier C, Ayas NT, Thanachayanont T, Jiang D, Mehta S. A Patient Survey of Sleep Quality in the Intensive Care Unit. Minerva Anestesiologica. 2012. 78: 406-414.
65. Henrich, N; Ayas N; Marra, C; Lynd LD; Lowe AA; Tsuda, H; Fleetham, J; Pliska, B; Almeida FR . Patient preferences and experiences of CPAP and oral appliance for the treatment of sleep apnea: a qualitative analysis. Sleep and Breathing. Jul 2012; epub ahead of print.
66. Griesdale GE, Chau A, Isac G, Ayas N, Foster D, Irwin C, Choi P. Video laryngoscopy versus direct laryngoscopy in critically ill patients. Can J Anesth 2012. 59:1032-39.
67. Berlowitz DJ , Ayas N , Barnes M , Brown DJ , Cistulli PA , Geraghty T , Graham A , Lee BB , Morris M , O’Donoghue F , Rochford PD , Ross J , Singhal B , Spong J , Wadsworth B , Pierce RJ, “Auto-titrating continuous positive airway pressure treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea after acute quadriplegia (COSAQ): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.”, Trials2013. 14(1): 181.
68. Almeida FR , Mulgrew A , Ayas N , Tsuda H , Lowe AA , Fox N , Harrison, S , Fleetham JA, Mandibular advancement splint as short-term alternative treatment in patients with obstructive sleep apnea already effectively treated with continuous positive airway pressure. Journal of clinical sleep medicine 2013. 9(4): 319-24.
69. Almeida FR, Henrich N, Marra C, Lynd LD, Lowe AA, Tsuda H, Fleetham JA, Pliska B, Ayas N.Patient preferences and experiences of CPAP and oral appliances for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. A qualitative analysis. Sleep Breathing 2013. 17:659-66.
73. Ayas NT, Dodek PM, Wang H, Fowler R, Wong H, Norena M. Attributable Length of Stay and Mortality of Major Bleeding as a Complication of Therapeutic Anticoagulation in the Intensive Care Unit. Journal of Patient Safety. 2015 11:23-7.
74. Hirsch-Allen AJ, Park JE, Adhami N, Sirounis D, Tholin H, Dodek P, Rogers A, Ayas N. Impact of work schedules on sleep duration of critical care nurses. American Journal of Critical Care. 2014 Jul;23(4):290-5
75. Henderson WR, Barnbrook J, Dominelli PB, Griesdale DE, Arndt T, Molgat-Seon Y, Foster G, Ackland GL, Xu J, Ayas NT, Sheel AW. Administration of intrapulmonary sodium polyacrylate to induce lung injury for the development of a porcine model of early acute respiratory distress syndrome. Intensive Care Med Exp. 2014. 2: 5.
76. Badran M, Goldibi S, Devlin A, Ayas N, Laher I. Chronic intermittent hypoxia causes endothelial dysfunction in a mouse model of diet induced obesity. Sleep Medicine.2014 May,15(5):596-602
77. Trenaman L, Sadatsafavi M, Almeida F, Ayas N, Lynd L, Marra C, Stacey D, Bansback N. Exploring the Potential Cost-Effectiveness of Patient Decision Aids for Use in Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Case Study. Med Decis Making. 2015 Jul; 35:671-82.
78. Yagi K, Lowe AA, Ayas NT, Fleetham JA, Almeida FR. Swallowing and breathing patterns during sleep in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep Breath. 2015 Mar;19(1):377-84.
79. Henderson WR, Molgat-Seon Y, Dominelli PB, Brasher PM, Griesdale DE, Foster GE, Yacyshyn A,Ayas NT, Sheel AW. Gas density alters expiratory time constants before and after experimental lung injury.Exp Physiol. 2015 Oct;100(10):1217-28.
80. Sy E, Luong M, Quon M, Kim Y, Sharifi S, Norena M, Wong H, Ayas N, Leipsic J, Dodek P.Implementation of a quality improvement initiative to reduce daily chest radiographs in the intensive care unit.BMJ Qual Saf. 2016 May;25(5):379-85.
81. Merkeley HL, Hemmett J, Cessford TA, Amiri N, Geller GS, Baradaran N, Norena M, Wong H, Ayas N, Dodek PM. Multipronged strategy to reduce routine-priority blood testing in intensive care unit patients.J Crit Care. 2016 Feb;31(1):212-6.
82. Digby GC, Keenan SP, Parker CM, Sinuff T, Burns KE, Mehta S, Ronco JJ, Kutsogiannis DJ, Rose L, Ayas NT, Berthiaume LR, D’Arsigny CL, Stollery DE, Muscedere J. Noninvasive ventilation practice patterns for acute respiratory failure in Canadian tertiary care centres: A descriptive analysis.Can Respir J. 2015 Nov-Dec;22(6):331-40.
83. Trenaman L, Munro S, Almeida F, Ayas N, Hicklin J, Bansback N.Development of a patient decision aid prototype for adults with obstructive sleep apnea.Sleep Breath. 2016 May;20(2):653-61.
84. Querido JS, Welch JF, Ayas NT, Sheel AW. Cerebrovascular Response to CO2 Following 10 Days of Intermittent Hypoxia in Humans.Aerosp Med Hum Perform. 2015 Sep;86(9):782-6.
85. Dodek PM, Wong H, Norena M, Ayas N, Reynolds SC, Keenan SP, Hamric A, Rodney P, Stewart M, Alden L. Moral distress in intensive care unit professionals is associated with profession, age, and years of experience.J Crit Care. 2016 Feb;31(1):178-82.
86. Cameron JI, Chu LM, Matte A, Tomlinson G, Chan L, Thomas C, Friedrich JO, Mehta S, Lamontagne F, Levasseur M, Ferguson ND, Adhikari NK, Rudkowski JC, Meggison H, Skrobik Y, Flannery J, Bayley M, Batt J, dos Santos C, Abbey SE, Tan A, Lo V, Mathur S, Parotto M, Morris D, Flockhart L, Fan E, Lee CM, Wilcox ME, Ayas N, Choong K, Fowler R, Scales DC, Sinuff T, Cuthbertson BH, Rose L, Robles P, Burns S, Cypel M, Singer L, Chaparro C, Chow CW, Keshavjee S, Brochard L, Hébert P, Slutsky AS, Marshall JC, Cook D, Herridge MS; RECOVER Program Investigators (Phase 1: towards RECOVER); Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. One-Year Outcomes in Caregivers of Critically Ill Patients.N Engl J Med. 2016 May 12;374(19):1831-41.
87. Henderson WR, Dominelli PB, Molgat-Seon Y, Lipson R, Griesdale DE, Sekhon M, Ayas N, Sheel AW. Effect of tidal volume and positive end-expiratory pressure on expiratory time constants in experimental lung injury.Physiol Rep. 2016;4(5): e12737.
88. Hirsch Allen AJ, Park JE, Daniele PR, Fleetham J, Ryan CF, Ayas NT.Obstructive sleep apnoea and frequency of occupational injury.Thorax. 2016; 71:664-6.
89. Herridge MS, Chu LM, Matte A, Tomlinson G, Chan L, Thomas C, Friedrich JO, Mehta S, Lamontagne F, Levasseur M, Ferguson ND, Adhikari NK, Rudkowski JC, Meggison H, Skrobik Y, Flannery J, Bayley M, Batt J, Dos Santos C, Abbey SE, Tan A, Lo V, Mathur S, Parotto M, Morris D, Flockhart L, Fan E, Lee CM, Wilcox ME, Ayas N, Choong K, Fowler R, Scales DC, Sinuff T, Cuthbertson BH, Rose L, Robles P, Burns S, Cypel M, Singer L, Chaparro C, Chow CW, Keshavjee S, Brochard L, Hebert P, Slutsky AS, Marshall JC, Cook D, Cameron JI; RECOVER Program Investigators (Phase 1: towards RECOVER) and the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group..The RECOVER Program: Disability Risk Groups & One Year Outcome after ≥ 7 Days of Mechanical Ventilation.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016; 194:831-44.
90. Hirsch-Allen AJ, Amram O, Tavakoli H, Almeida FR, Hamoda M, Ayas NT.Relationship between Travel Time from Home to a Regional Sleep Apnea Clinic in British Columbia, Canada, and the Severity of Obstructive Sleep.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 May;13(5):719-23.
91. Henrich N, Ayas NT, Stelfox HT, Peets AD. Cognitive and other strategies to mitigate the effects of fatigue. Ann Am Thorac soc 2016. 13:1600-6.
92. Okuno K, Nohara K, Takai E, Sakai T, Fleetham JA, Ayas NT, Lowe AA, Almeida FR. Sleep stage coordination of respiration and swallowing. Dysphagia 2016; 31:579-86.
93. Kendzerska T, Leung RS, Gershon AS, Tomlinson G, Ayas N. The interaction of obesity and nocturnal hypoxemia on cardiovascular consequences in adults with suspected OSA. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2016:
94. Bentzer P, Griesdale DE, Boyd J, MacLean K, Sirounis D, Ayas NT. Will this hemodynamically unstable patient respond to a bolus of intravenous fluids? JAMA 2016. 316:1298-309.
95. Badran M, Abuyassin B, Golbidi S,Ayas N, Laher I.Uncoupling of Vascular Nitric Oxide Synthase Caused by Intermittent Hypoxia.Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016;2016:2354870.
96. Iftikhar IH, Bittencourt L, Youngstedt SD,Ayas N, Cistulli P, Schwab R, Durkin MW, Magalang UJ. Comparative efficacy of CPAP, MADs, exercise-training, and dietary weight loss for sleep apnea: a network meta-analysis.Sleep Med. 2017 Feb;30:7-14.
97. Zurawska JH, Romney MG, Wong H, Wang H, Ayas NT, Hoang LMN, Stefanovic A, Doyle P, Dhingra V, Dodek PM. Outcomes of Critically Ill Patients Who Have Serotype 5 Invasive Pneumococcal Disease.J Intensive Care Med. 2017.
98. Abuyassin B, Badran M, Ayas NT, Laher I.Intermittent hypoxia causes histological kidney damage and increases growth factor expression in a mouse model of obstructive sleep apnea. PLoS One. 2018 Feb 1;13(2):e0192084.
99. Graco M, Schembri R, Cross S, Thiyagarajan C, Shafazand S, Ayas NT, Nash MS, Vu VH, Ruehland WR, Chai-Coetzer CL, Rochford P, Churchward T, Green SE, Berlowitz DJ. Diagnostic accuracy of a two-stage model for detecting obstructive sleep apnoea in chronic tetraplegia. Thorax. 2018.
100. Kendzerska T, Leung RS, Aaron SD, Ayas N, Sandoz JS, Gershon AS; Canadian Respiratory Research Network. Cardiovascular Outcomes and All-Cause Mortality in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (Overlap Syndrome). Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018 Oct 29.
101. Baril AA, Carrier J, Lafrenière A, Warby S, Poirier J, Osorio RS, Ayas N, Dubé MP, Petit D, Gosselin N; Canadian Sleep and Circadian Network. Biomarkers of dementia in obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep Med Rev. 2018 Dec;42:139-148.
102. Sandford AJ, Ha A, Ngan DA, Akhabir L, Saferali A, Fox N, Hirsch Allen AJ, Warby SC, van Eeden SF, Ayas NT. Adhesion molecule gene variants and plasma protein levels in patients with suspected obstructive sleep apnea. PLoS One. 2019 Jan 17;14(1):
103. Berlowitz DJ, Schembri R, Graco M, Ross JM, Ayas N, Gordon I, Lee B, Graham A, Cross SV, McClelland M, Kennedy P, Thumbikat P, Bennett C, Townson A, Geraghty TJ, Pieri-Davies S, Singhal R, Marshall K, Short D, Nunn A, Mortimer D, Brown D, Pierce RJ, Cistulli PA; COSAQ Collaborative. Positive airway pressure for sleep-disordered breathing in acute quadriplegia: a randomised controlled trial. Thorax. 2019 Mar;74(3):282-290.
104. Suen C, Ryan CM, Mubashir T, Ayas NT, Abrahamyan L, Wong J, Mokhlesi B, Chung F. Sleep Study and Oximetry Parameters for Predicting Postoperative Complications in Patients With OSA.Chest. 2019 Apr;155(4):855-867.
105. Dodek PM, Norena M, Ayas N, Wong H. Moral distress is associated with general workplace distress in intensive care unit personnel. J Crit Care. 2019 Apr;50:122-125.
106. Peres BU, Hirsch Allen AJ, Fox N, Laher I, Hanly P, Skomro R, Almeida F, Ayas NT; Canadian Sleep and Circadian Network. Circulating biomarkers to identify cardiometabolic complications in patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A systematic review. Sleep Med Rev. 2019 Apr;44:48-57.
107. Badran M, Abuyassin B, Golbidi S, Ayas N, Laher I. Alpha Lipoic Acid Improves Endothelial Function and Oxidative Stress in Mice Exposed to Chronic Intermittent Hypoxia.Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019 Apr 9;2019:4093018.
108. Badran M, Abuyassin B, Ayas N, Laher I. Intermittent hypoxia impairs uterine artery function in pregnant mice. J Physiol. 2019 May;597(10):2639-2650
109. Shorofsky M, Bourbeau J, Kimoff J, Jen R, Malhotra A, Ayas N, Tan WC, Aaron SD, Sin DD, Road J, Chapman KR, O’Donnell DE, Maltais F, Hernandez P, Walker BL, Marciniuk D, Kaminska M; Canadian Respiratory Research Network and the CanCOLD Collaborative Research group.Impaired Sleep Quality in COPD Is Associated With Exacerbations: The CanCOLD Cohort Study.Chest. 2019 May 28. pii: S0012-3692(19)31121-3.
110. Abuyassin B, Badran M, Ayas NT, Laher I. The antioxidant α-lipoic acid attenuates intermittent hypoxia-related renal injury in a mouse model of sleep apnea. Sleep. 2019 Jun 11;42(6).
111. Franczak A, Bil-Lula I, Sawicki G, Fenton M, Ayas N, Skomro R. Matrix metalloproteinases as possible biomarkers of obstructive sleep apnea severity – A systematic review. Sleep Med Rev. 2019 Aug;46:9-16.
112. Benjafield AV, Ayas NT, Eastwood PR, Heinzer R, Ip MSM, Morrell MJ, Nunez CM, Patel SR, Penzel T, Pépin JL, Peppard PE, Sinha S, Tufik S, Valentine K, Malhotra A. Estimation of the global prevalence and burden of obstructive sleep apnoea: a literature-based analysis. Lancet Respir Med. 2019 Aug;7(8):687-698.
113. Graco M, Schembri R, Ross J, Green SE, Booker L, Cistulli PA, Ayas NT, Berlowitz DJ; COSAQ Investigators. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Use for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Acute, Traumatic Tetraplegia. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019 Aug 15.
114. Badran M, Yassin BA, Lin DTS, Kobor MS, Ayas N, Laher I. Gestational intermittent hypoxia induces endothelial dysfunction, reduces perivascular adiponectin and causes epigenetic changes in adult male offspring.J Physiol. 2019 Aug 22.
115. Fergusson NA, Ahkioon S, Nagarajan M, Park E, Ding Y, Ayas N, Dhingra VK, Chittock DR, Griesdale DEG. Association of intensive care unit occupancy during admission and inpatient mortality: a retrospective cohort study. Can J Anaesth. 2019 Sep 16.
116. Dodek P, Norena M, Ayas N, Dhingra V, Brown G, Wong H. Moral distress in intensive care unit personnel is not consistently associated with adverse medication events and other adverse events.J Crit Care. 2019 Oct;53:258-263.
a. Fleetham J, Ayas N, Bradley D, Ferguson K, Fitzpatrick M, George C, Hanly P, Hill F, Kimoff J, Kryger M, Morrison D, Series F, Tsai W; CTS Sleep Disordered Breathing Committee.Canadian Thoracic Society guidelines: Diagnosis and treatment of sleep disordered breathing in adults.Can Respir J. 2006 Oct;13(7):387-92.
b. Fleetham J, Ayas N, Bradley D, Fitzpatrick M, Oliver T, Morrison D, Ryan F, Series F, Skomro R, Tsai W. Canadian Thoracic Society 2011 guideline update: Diagnosis and treatment of sleep disordered breathing.Can Respir J. 2011 Jan-Feb;18(1):25-
c. Canadian Sleep Society, Blackman A, McGregor C, Dales R, Driver HS, Dumov I, Fleming J, Fraser K, George C, Khullar A, Mink J, Moffat M, Sullivan GE; Canadian Thoracic Society, Fleetham JA, Ayas N, Bradley TD, Fitzpatrick M, Kimoff J, Morrison D, Ryan F, Skomro R, Series F. Canadian Sleep Society/Canadian Thoracic Society position paper on the use of portable monitoring for the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea in adults.Can Respir J. 2010 Sep-Oct;17(5):229-32.
d. Ayas N, Skomro R, Blackman A, Curren K, Fitzpatrick M, Fleetham J, George C, Hakemi T, Hanly P, Li C, Morrison D, Series F. Obstructive sleep apnea and driving: A Canadian Thoracic Society and Canadian Sleep Society position paper.Can Respir J. 2014 Mar-Apr;21(2):114-23. (Co-Chair)
e. Keenan SP, Sinuff T, Burns KE, Muscedere J, Kutsogiannis J, Mehta S, Cook DJ, Ayas N, Adhikari NK, Hand L, Scales DC, Pagnotta R, Lazosky L, Rocker G, Dial S, Laupland K, Sanders K, Dodek P; Canadian Critical Care Trials Group/Canadian Critical Care Society Noninvasive Ventilation Guidelines Group. Clinical practice guidelines for the use of noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation and noninvasive continuous positive airway pressure in the acute care setting.CMAJ. 2011 Feb 22;183(3):E195-214.
f. Mukherjee S, Patel SP, Kales SN, Ayas NT, Strohl KP, Gozal D, Malhotra A. American Thoracic Society Statement: The Importance of Healthy Sleep. Recommendations and Future Priorities. AJRCCM 2015. 191: 1450-8.
g. Chung F, Memtsoudis SG, Ramachandran SK, Nagappa M, Opperer M, Cozowicz C, Patrawala S, Lam D, Kumar A, Joshi GP, Fleetham J, Ayas N, Collop N, Doufas AG, Eikermann M, Englesakis M, Gali B, Gay P, Hernandez AV, Kaw R, Kezirian EJ, Malhotra A, Mokhlesi B, Parthasarathy S, Stierer T, Wappler F, Hillman DR, Auckley D.Society of Anesthesia and Sleep Medicine Guidelines on Preoperative Screening and Assessment of Adult Patients With Obstructive Sleep Apnea.Anesth Analg. 2016 Aug;123(2):452-73.
h. Ayas NT, Laratta CR, Coleman JM, Doufas AG, Eikermann M, Gay PC, Gottlieb DJ, Gurubhagavatula I, Hillman DR, Kaw R, Malhotra A, Mokhlesi B, Morgenthaler TI, Parthasarathy S, Ramachandran SK, Strohl KP, Strollo PJ, Twery MJ, Zee PC, Chung FF; ATS Assembly on Sleep and Respiratory Neurobiology.Knowledge Gaps in the Perioperative Management of Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome. An Official American Thoracic Society Workshop Report. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018 Feb;15(2):117-126. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201711-888WS.
1) Ayas NT, Epstein LJ. Oral Appliances In the Treatment Of Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Snoring.Current Opinion In Pulmonary Medicine 1998; 4:355-360. [review]
2) Ayas NT, Malhotra A, Epstein LJ. Non-surgical Treatments of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Drugs of Today 1999; 35:811-821. [review]
3) Ayas NT, Malhotra A, Epstein LJ. Alternative Therapies for Sleep Apnea. Drugs of Today 1999; 35:811-821. [review]
4) Malhotra A, Ayas NT, Epstein LJ. The Art and Science of Continuous Positive Airway PressureTherapy in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Curr Opin Pul Med 2000; 6:490-495. [review]
5) Pittman SD, Hill PD, Malhotra A, Ayas N, Fogel RB, Stevenson LW, Ravid S, White DP. Stabilizing Cheyne-Stokes Respiration Associated with Congestive Heart Failure using Computer-Assisted Positive Airway Pressure. Computers in Cardiology 2000. Volume 27: 201-204. [monograph]
6) Pittman SD, Tal N, Pillar G, Hilton MF, Fogel RB, Ayas N, White DP. Automated Detection of Obstructive Sleep-Disordered Breathing Events Using Peripheral Arterial Tonometry and Oximetry. Computers in Cardiology 2000. Volume 27:485-488. [monograph]
7) Tachibana N, Ayas NT, White DP. A Quantitative Assessment of Sleep Laboratory Activity in the United States and Japan. APSS Newsletter 2002.
8) Ayas NT. The Adverse Health Effects of Sleep Restriction. Sleep Review 2003. 4:16-20. [review]
9) Ayas NT. Obestiy Associated Hypoventilation in Medical Patients Is Common, Potentially Dangerous, and Under-recognized. Thorax 2004. 59:366 [brief review].
10) Wang C, Ayas NT. The Assessment and Management of Daytime Sleepiness. Canadian Journal of CME 2004. 16:128-133. [review]
11) Alvarez G, Ayas NT. The Impact of Daily Sleep Duration on Health. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing 2004. 19:56-9. [peer-reviewed review and subject of an editorial]
12) Ayas NT, Sigurdson K. The Public Health and Safety Consequences of Sleep Disorders. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2007 Jan: 85(1):179-83.
13) Wong G, Ayas NT. Clinical Approaches to the Diagnosis of Heart Failure. Current opinion in Cardiology 2007. 22:207-213.
14) Mountain S, Quon B, Dodek P, Sharpe R, Ayas NT. The Impact of Housestaff Fatigue on Occupational and Patient Safety. Lung.2007 Jul-Aug:185(4) :203-9. Epub 2007 May 3.
15) Landrigan CP, Czeisler CA, Barger LK, Ayas NT, Rothschild JM, Lockley SW, Harvard Work Hours, Health and Safety Group. Effective implementation of work-hour limits and systemic improvements. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2007. 33(11 Suppl):19-29.
16) Lockley SW, Barger LK, Ayas NT, Rothschild JM, Czeisler CA, Landrigan CP, Harvard Work Hours, Health, and Safety Group. Effects of health care provider work hours and sleep deprivation on safety and performance. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2007. 33(11 Suppl):7-18.
17) AlGhanim N, Comondore V, Ayas NT. The Economic Impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Lung 2008. 186:7-12.
18) Mountain S, Quon B, Ayas NT. The Effects of Extended Duration Workshifts on Housestaff and Patient Safety. ICU Management 2007.
19) Comondore VR, Wenner JB, Ayas NT. The Impact of Physician Sleep Deprivation on Patient and Occupational Safety: Is It Time for a Wake-Up Call? British Columbia Medical Journal. 2008: 50:560-564.
20) Wenner JB, Ayas NT. Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. 2009. 29: 76-83.
21) Al Lawati N, Patel S, Ayas NT. Epidemiology, Risk Factors, and Consequences of Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Short Sleep Duration. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases 2009. 51:285-93.
22) Ayas NT, Wenner J. Does Obstructive Sleep Apnea Cause Cardiovascular Disease? In press, Canadian Respiratory journal.
23) Lam G, Ayas NT, Griesdale DE, Peets AD. Medical simulation in respiratory and critical care medicine. Lung 2010. 188: 445-57.
24) Peets A, Ayas NT. Restricting Resident Workhours: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Critical Care Medicine. 2012. 40: 960-6.
25) Golbidi S, Badran M, Ayas N, Laher I. Cardiovascular consequences of sleep apnea. Lung 2012. 190:113-122.
26) Badran M, Ayas N, Laher I. Cardiovascular complications of sleep apnea: role of oxidative stress. Oxid Med Call Longev 2014. 2014: 985258.
27) Badran M, Ayas N, Laher I. Insights into obstructive sleep apnea research. Sleep Med.2014 May;15(5);485-95.
28) Ayas NT, Hirsch AA, Laher I, Bradley TD, Malhotra A, Polotsky VY, Tasali E. New frontiers in obstructive sleep apnoea. Clin Sci (Lond). 2014 Aug;127 (4):209-16.
29) Hirsch Allen AJ, Bansback B, Ayas NT.The effect of obstructive sleep apnea on work disability and work related injuries. Chest. 2015 May 147:1422-8.
30) Badran M, Yassin B, Fox N, Laher I, Ayas NT. Epidemiology of sleep disturbances and vascular consequences. Canadian Journal Cardiology. 2015. 31:873-9.
31) Abuyassin B, Sharma K, Ayas NT, Laher I. Obstructive sleep apnea and kidney disease. JCSM 2015. 15:915-24.
32) Badran M, Goldibi S, Ayas N, Laher I. Nitric oxide bioavailability in OSA. Sleep Disorders 2015. May.
33) Ayas NT, Owens RL, Kheirandish-Gozal L. Update in Sleep Medicine 2014.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Aug 15;192(4):415-20. Review.
34) Ayas NT, Taylor CM, Laher I. Cardiovascular consequences of obstructive sleep apnea. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2016; 31:599-605. Review.
35) Ayas NT, Drager LF, Morrell MJ, Polotsky VY.Update in Sleep-disordered Breathing 2016. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Jun 15;195(12):1561-1566
36) Testing and treatment for obstructive sleep apnea in Canada: funding models must change. Pendharkar SR, Povitz M, Bansback N, George CFP, Morrison D, Ayas NT; Canadian Sleep and Circadian Network. CMAJ. 2017 Dec 11;189(49):E1524-E1528.
37) Laratta CR, Ayas NT, Povitz M, Pendharkar SR. Diagnosis and treatment of obstructive sleep apnea in adults. CMAJ. 2017 Dec 4;189(48):E1481-E1488.
38) Ayas NT, Foster GE, Shah N, Floras J, Laher I. Could Adjunctive Pharmacology Mitigate Cardiovascular Consequences of Obstructive Sleep Apnea? Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019 Sep 1;200(5):551-555.
Letters to the editor:
39) Malhotra A, Schwartz DR, Ayas N, Stanchina M, White DP. Five Mechanisms of Hyperoxic Hypercarbia. Lancet 2001. 357: 884-885. [letter].
40) Malhotra A, Ayas N, Kacmarek R. Prone positioning of patients in acute respiratory failure. N Engl J Med. 2002 Jan 24;346(4):295-7. [letter]
41) Czeisler CA, Lockley SW, Landrigan CP, Katz JT, Barger LK, Ayas NT, Rothschild JM, Kaushal R, Stone PH, Bates DW. Current Resident Work Hours: Too Many or Not Enough? JAMA 2002. 287(14):1802-3.[letter]
42) Barger L, Ayas N, Czeisler C. Post-call Accidents. NEJM 2005. 352: 1491. [letter-response]
43) Wang CS, FitzGerald M, Schulzer M, Mak E, Ayas NT. Does this Dyspneic Patient in the Emergency Department Have Congestive Heart Failure? JAMA 2006; 295:1122. [letter-response]
44) McCool D, Ayas N, Brown R. Mechanical ventilation and disuse atrophy of the diaphragm. NEJM 2008. 359:89. (letter)
45) Laratta CR, Ayas NT, Povitz M, Pendharkar SR.Addres sing challenges with current therapies for obstructive sleep apnea. CMAJ. 2018 May 7;190(18):E573. (letter)
46) Ayas NT, Marra C. CPAP Therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Hypopnea: Do the Dollars Make Sense? Sleep 2005. 28:1211-1213.
47) Ayas NT, Fleetham JF, Mancini GB. Does CPAP Delay the Development of Cardiovascular Disease in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Hypopnoea? Thorax 2006. 61:459-60.
48) Al Lawati N, Ayas NT. To sleep, perchance to dip: Obstructive sleep apnea, blood pressure and cardiovascular disease. Sleep 2008. 31:772-3
49) Al Lawati N, Ayas NT. Hypercoagulability-Another potential mechanism of obstructive sleep apnea related to cardiovascular disease? Lung 2008. 186:195-96.
50) Roussos M, Parthasarathy S, Ayas NT. Can we improve sleep quality by changing the way we ventilate patients? Lung. 2010. 188:1-3.
51) Ayas NT. If you weigh too much, maybe you should try sleeping more.Sleep. 2010;33:143-4.
52) Parthasarathy S, Friese RS, Ayas NT. Biological validity to sleep measurements during critical illness.Crit Care Med. 2010;38:705-6.
53) Kwiatkowska M, Ayas N. Can telemedicine improve CPAP adherence? Thorax 2010. 65:1035-6.
54) Ayas NT, Pack A, Marra C. The demise of portable monitoring to diagnose OSA? Not so fast! Sleep. 2011 Jun; 34(6):691-2.
55) Ayas NT, Malhotra A , Parthsarathy S, “To sleep, or not to sleep, that is the question.”, Critical care medicine, 2013. 41(7).
56) Ayas NT, Trenaman L, Bansback N. The patient’s or society’s: whose quality of life is it anyway? Sleep. 2014 Dec 1;37 (12):1885-6.
57) Malhotra A, Patil S, Sands S, Ayas N. Central sleep apnoea in congestive heart failure. Lancet Respir Med. 2015. 3: 507-508.
58) Ayas NT, Patil SP, Stanchina M, Malhotra A. Treatment of central sleep apnea with adaptive servo ventilation in CHF. AJRCCM 2015. 192:132-3.
59) Kendzerska T, Ayas N. Turning Dreams into Nightmares: Different Metabolic Effects of Obstructive Events in Rapid Eye Movement versus Non-Rapid Eye Movement Sleep.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Nov 1;192(9):1034-5.
60) Mokhlesi B, Ayas NT. Cardiovascular events in OSA- Can CPAP therapy SAVE lives? NEJM 2016. 375:994-6.
61) Ayas NT, Bhattacharjee R, Pack AI. AJRCCM: 100-Year Anniversary. Sleep-Disordered Breathing: Still the New Kid on the Block.. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2017 May 1; 195 (9): 1107-1111.
|1) Ayas NT, Ernst A. Pregnancy in the Critical Care Unit. In Up To Date in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine (CD ROM), 2000.
2) Mulgrew AT, Sigurdson K, Ayas NT. Adjunctive and Alternative Therapies. Chapter in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Taylor and Francis Group. Edited by Clete Kushida.
3) Mulgrew AT, Sigurdson K, Ayas NT. Adjunctive and Alternative Therapies for Sleep Related Breathing Disorders. Chapter in Handbook of Sleep Disorders, 2nd Edition. Taylor and Francis Group. Edited by Clete Kushida.
4) Ayas NT, Zakynthinos S, Roussos C, Pare P. Respiratory System mechanics and energetics. Chapter in Murray and Nadel’s Textbook in Respiratory Medicine, 5th Edition. Saunders.
5) Henderson WR, Ayas NT, Pare P. Respiratory System mechanics and energetics. Chapter in Murray and Nadel’s Textbook in Respiratory Medicine,6th Edition. Saunders.
6) Peets AD, Ayas NT, Simulation in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. Chapter in The Comprehensive Textbook of Healthcare Simulation 2013
AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
|1||1986 Galbraith Bursary|
|2||1987 Board of Governor’s Prize in Science|
|3||1987 – 1991 Louise McKinney Scholarship five years in a row|
|4||1988 AJ Pauly Bursay in Medicine|
|5||1989 Fisons Corporation Scholarship in Immunology|
|6||1990 Adella Patrige Memorial Award in Cardiology|
|7||1990 Weinlos Prize in Pathology|
|8||1992 Hewlett Packard Top Medical Graduate Award|
|9||1992 Hepburn Memorial Prize in Surgery|
|10||1996 Mayo Clinic Outstanding Internal Medicine Resident Award|
|11||1996 Certificate of Merit from the American College of Physicians|
|12||1998 Research Merit Award, American Professional Sleep Society|
|13||2002 BC Lung Association Career Development Award ($25,000)|
|14||2002-2007 New Investigator Salary Award, CIHR/BC Lung Association Award ($50,000/yr)|
|15||2003-2005 Academic Enhancement Award (Departmental Scholar) ($10,000/yr)|
|16||2004-2009 Scholar Award, Michael Smith Foundation ($80,000/yr)|
|17||2009-2012 Established Clinician Scholar Award, VCHRI|
|Awards for Research Abstracts|
|18||Best Abstract at Simulation Summit. International Conference for Residency Education, Ottawa, September 2008|
|19||Best Abstract, American Thoracic Society Respiratory Neurobiology and Sleep, May 2005.
Award for Clinical Teaching Excellence, Division of Critical Care Medicine UBC, June 2013.
Martin Hoffman Award Excellence in Research, Providence and UBC
Member, Grant Review Panel, CLA Allied Health and Fellowship Grants (2018)
Member, Grant Review Panel for CIHR Respiratory Panel (2018)
Member, Grant Review Panel for CIHR Doctoral Awards (2014)
Member, Grant Review Committee (Stage 1) for CIHR Scholar Awards (2013, 2016).
Member Grant Review Committee, Operating Grants, Canadian Lung Association (2012, 2013, 2015, 2018)
Member, Grant Review Committee, New Investigator Awards, CIHR 2012, 2013.
Member, Grant Review Committee, Scholar Awards, MSFHR 2012.
Member, Grant Review Committee, Innovation Grants, VCH 2012.
Member, Grant Review Committee, Chronic Disease Team Grants. CIHR 2011.
Member Grant Review Committee, Small Business Grants for Respiratory Sciences. National Institutes of Health. July 2010.
Member, Grant Review Committee, VCHRI Interdisciplinary Grants (2005) and Team Grants (2006, 2009, 2010) and Scholar Grants (2014).
Have also been an external reviewer for grants submitted to: Canadian Lung Association,National Health and Medical Research Council Australia (NHMRC) (2010, 2018), Physicians’ Services Incorporated Foundation Ontario (2009, 2012)
Areas of special interest and accomplishments:
From 2000-2002: group leader in the Pulmonary Physiology course in the Harvard Science and Technology Program.
From 2004-2006: section leader for the Respiratory/Acute Care Section of the Evidence Based Medicine (INDE 453) Phase VI course.
From September, 2006: Director of Medicine560/Path518 Course (Respiratory Physiology)
(b) Courses Taught at UBC:
|Year||Session||Course Number||Scheduled||Class||Hours Taught|
|2002-4||Respiratory Exam||INDE 410 Clinical Skills||4/yr||10||4||1 hr prep time|
|2003-2006||Control of Breathing||Respiratory Physiology MED560, Path518||2/yr||10||2||2 hrs prep/exam time|
|2006-present||Multiple||Respiratory Physiology MED560, Path518||8-10/yr||10||8-10||20 hrs admin Course Director|
|2003-4||Respiratory||INDE 453||4/yr||14||4||2 hrs prep time|
|2004-6||Respiratory/AcuteCare||INDE 453||24/yr||14||24||5 hrs admin|
|2011-2012||Obstructive Sleep Apnea||Biomedical Engineering Course||1/yr||70||1||2 hrs prep time|
(c) Graduate Students supervised at UBC:
|Student Name||Program Type||Year||Principal Supervisor||Co-Supervisors|
|Mory Mehrtash||Masters||9/16||2018||Najib Ayas|
|Bernardo Peres||Doctoral Student||6/16||present||Fernanda Almeida||Najib Ayas and others|
|Mona Hamada||Doctoral Student||9/14||present||Fernanda Almeida||Najib Ayas and others|
|William Henderson||Doctoral Student||7/10||2016||William Sheel||Najib Ayas and others|
|Bishr Abu-Yasin||Doctoral Student||2014||2018||Najib Ayas|
|AJ Hirsch Allen||Doctoral Student||1/14||2019||Najib Ayas|
|Mohammad Badran||Masters||7/11||2013||Ismail Laher||Najib Ayas and others|
|Mohammad Badran||Doctoral Student||7/13||2019||Ismail Laher||Najib Ayas and others|
|Nurit Fox||Doctoral student||9/09||withdrew||Najib Ayas, Jeremy Road||John Fleetham, Frank Ryan|
|Vikram Comondore||Resident Projects||1/07||7/10||Najib Ayas|
|Jordan Querido||Doctoral Student||7/08||2012||William Sheel||Najib Ayas|
|Scot Mountain||Fellow/Resident Projects||1/07||7/10||Peter Dodek/Najib Ayas|
|Kimberley Louie||Summer Medical Student Projects||5/07||7/10||Najib Ayas||Peter Dodek|
|Amanda Wilmer||Summer Medical Student Projects||5/07||7/10||Peter Dodek||Najib Ayas|
|Nabil AlLawati||Post-doc Fellow||7/07||6/08||Najib Ayas||John Fleetham, F Ryan|
|Alan Mulgrew||Post-doc Fellow||7/04||6/07||John Fleetham||Najib Ayas, Frank Ryan|
|Robert Sharpe||Fellow Project||1/07||6/08||Najib Ayas||Juan Ronco|
|Charlie Wang||Resident Projects||7/02||6/06||Najib Ayas||Mark FitzGerald|
|Nayef AlGhanim||Resident Project||7/06||6/07||Najib Ayas|
|Mubarak AlAjmi||Fellow Projects||7/05||6/06||Najib Ayas|
|Gonzalo Alvarez||Resident Projects||7/02||6/04||Najib Ayas|
Drs. Mulgrew and AlLawati were full-time Respiratory research fellows working in the Sleep Program.
I supervised Drs. Wang, AlAjmi, AlGhanim, Comondore, and Alvarez on research projects during their clinical internal medicine/respiratory fellowships. I also supervised Drs. Mountain and Sharpe on their research projects during their Critical Care Fellowships.
Other students supervised:
Mila Kwiatkowska, PhD Computer Science Co-supervisor (Principal Supervisor: Stella Atkins) Simon Fraser University.
I also served as an external evaluator for Dr. Nick Antic’s PhD thesis (Flinders University, Adelaide Australia, 2008) concerning home diagnosis of sleep apnea, Susan Berney (Melbourne School of Health Sciences, Australia, 2010) concerning airway management in cervical spinal cord injury, and Annette Fedson concerning sleep apnea genetics (University of Western Australia 2010).